|It really depends on what your needs are and what you are trying
to accomplish. There are advantages and disadvantages for both
paid and free web hosting.
Free Web Hosting
- The most obvious benefit is that it's free.
- You can use your free web space to practice programming. Not
many, but some free web hosting plans support a programming
language such as PHP, ASP, CGI/Perl, Coldfusion
- A free
web hosting plan is great for creating a small personal
- A bunch of free web hosts place their banner and text ads on
- With a large number of free hosts, your website is placed in
a sub-domain or a folder (www.yourwebsite.freehosting.com or
www.freehosting.com/yourwebsite) which sometimes results in poor
search engine rankings.
- Because they are offering free hosting, the majority of free
web hosts can not afford to offer 24/7 or any support.
- Very few free web hosts offer a control panel with their
- Another flaw with free web hosts is many don't allow FTP
access which is an obstacle if you have many files to upload.
- Free web hosting plans don't offer much disk space or data
transfer. This could be a problem if you have a lot of large
files or if your website generates a lot of traffic.
Paid Web Hosting
- With paid hosting, you will now have any unwanted text or
banner ads placed on your website.
- Your website will not be placed in a sub-domain or folder.
You will have your own domain name (yourwebsite.com) which will
not only result in better search engine rankings, it also looks
- Most paid web hosts offer 24/7 support.
- A lot of paid web hosting plans offer a control panel such as
cPanel, Vdeck, Plesk or Ensim which offer features like web
stats, the ability to password protect directories, and the
ability to create web based email accounts.
- Most paid web hosts offer FTP access.
- The majority of paid web hosting plans support a couple
programming languages such as PHP, ASP, CGI/Perl, Coldfusion
- With the more disk space and data transfer you get with paid
hosting, you can add more files to your website and it can
handle more traffic.
- The only disadvantage here is that it's not free.
About the author:
Brian Shoemaker is the owner of the cheap web hosting
directory Find-A-Web-Host.com (offering a f
ree script installation when you choose a web host from the
directory) with web hosts offering af
fordable web hosting.
ASP Web Hosting
ASP Web Hosting ASP web hosting refers to web hosting companies who provide support for ASP (Active Server Page). If you want a dynamic data-driven web site you may wish to embed ASP code into your web site's HTML Pages. When a user is viewing a web...
Web Site Hosting Plan - Key Elements
What are the key elements in a good web host package? The answer to that question depends mainly on the service you expect from the web host provider. To decide what you need, you'll need to have at least a brief understanding of the typical...
How To Shop and Save On Website Hosting
What's your web address?" From small "mom and pop" home-based businesses to mega-stores, people ask this question in business every single day. Even if you only operate a small, local business, if you don't have a website (or at least email)...